I’ve made a lot of promises to myself lately, and broken all of them pretty much immediately. First, I promised Jack I wouldn’t bring home a suitcase full of books from Book Expo America… and I brought back 27 books and a ton of comics. Then, I swore I’d never do a book haul of those books… and here we are.
But I’m SO excited about these titles, I have to share them! (All links conveniently listed at the end.)
First, I found some EXCELLENT nonfiction titles.
I’m very, very, very excited about them. (Some might say furiously excited.)
Before I even arrived in New York, I had my eye on several new releases in fiction. Here are my most anticipated novels and short stories for the fall:
Specifically, I’m THRILLED to have an advance copy of Lauren Groff’s Fates and Furies. I’ve already taken a peek at the pages, and I’m in love.
Fantasy and Science Fiction
I love fantasy and sci-fi, and I found a ton of really amazing books–both new releases and forthcoming paperbacks.
Graphic Novels and Comics
This year, BEA had a “comics alley,” otherwise known as “heaven.”
I, like everyone else in the comics world, love Image Comics, and I was thrilled when they gave me first issues of all the comics I don’t yet have.
One reason my book bag got full so quickly was the unexpected books I encountered. These are the novels I didn’t expect to bring home, but can’t wait to read!
What’s better than snagging some of the best releases of the year? Having them signed by the author, of course!
I braved ten lines to get these books signed–and honestly, that was one of the best parts of my week. I met fellows book bloggers, book sellers, and agents, and we all bonded over shared booknerdom. I’d do it all again in a heartbeat.
I expected to find loads of wonderful books at BEA, but I wasn’t expecting to find these awesome journals.
And now my bookshelves are way too crowded! My last promise was not to buy another bookshelf. But what’s a book nerd to do?
Don’t let me have all the fun… check these out yourself! All purchases help support Melody & Words.
- Being Mortal by Atul Gawande
- Smoke Gets in Your Eyes by Caitlyn Doughty
- Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson
- Home Is Burning by Dan Marshall
- My Southern Journey by Rick Bragg
- I Regret Nothing by Jen Lancaster
- The Clasp by Sloane Crosley
- Mothers, Tell Your Daughters by Bonnie Jo Campbell
- Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon
- The Secret Chord by Geraldine Brooks
- Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff
- The Expatriates by Janice Y.K. Lee
- Dragonfish by Vu Tran
Fantasy & Sci-Fi
- The Magicians Land by Lev Grossman
- Armada by Ernest Cline
- Rooms by Lauren Oliver
- Mermaids in Paradise by Lydia Millet
- Zeroes by Scott Westerfeld
- Gold, Fame, Citrus by Claire Vaye Watkins
- Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
Graphic Novels and Comics
- Trashed by Def Backderf
- The Valiant and Bloodshot Reborn
- Giant Days
- Orphan Black and Jem and the Holograms
- A ton of single issues from Image Comics
- Saint Mazie by Jami Attenberg
- Killing Monica by Candace Bushnell
- The Marriage of Opposites by Alice Hoffman
- A Window Opens by Elisabeth Egan
- Bream Gives Me Hiccups by Jesse Eisenberg
- Hanging Mary by Susan Higginbotham
Categories: Book Loot